International Women's Day was colorfully celebrated at Adama Science & Technology University. President of FDRE Ambassador Sahile work Zewde, Vice president of Oromia Regional National state Teyiba Hassen and Professor Hirut W/mariam, Minister of MoSHE took part in the event!!!
On the occasion, ASTU has showcased its relentless efforts of capacitating women and girls. The university has given trainings to several girls and women. The university awarded prizes of different sorts to 122 female students who have got 3.25 CGPA and above. Of these seven students who have scored very great distinction took gold. The university also awarded ten outstanding female students from preparatory schools in Adama.
Adama Science & Technology University is working in collaboration with a number of world class universities and research institutes. The establishment of several Centers of Excellence (CoE) in the university has given it the opportunity to scale up its engagement in executing its responsibility of transferring technology. In connection with this the university has signed MOA with Korea Aerospace Research Institute (KARI).
Deputy Ambassador of Israel, Mr. Or Daniely made Public lecture to Academic Staff of Adama Science and Technology University. Mr. or Daniely delivered the lecture titled, “Innovation Lab: The case of Israel”. The lecture was about the story of Israel as an innovative country; the process of becoming the startup nation from being a developing country struggling with scarcity, wars, and lack of resources. What makes Israel one of the leading countries in innovation worldwide, how the public and private sector work together in building the right innovation-enabling ecosystem, and how these are related to Ethiopia have all been covered in the lecture.
The involvement of ASTU in technology transfer is gaining momentum. A case in point is the successful designing and operation of an electromagnetic induction injera mitada (EMIM). The electromagnetic induction injera mitad (EMIM) was developed by ASTU staff members, Ato Feleke and Dr. Oquino from the school of Electrical Engineering & Computing. During the presentation of the newly designed EMIN, Ato Feleke demonstrated that the prototype assembled with its controller is ready for injera baking which he managed to show on spot!!!! The designers also made it evident that EMIM has got 50% improved performances in comparison with other electric mitads.This is a great stride in ASTU's role of transferring technology!!!!
The office of postgraduate studies trained academic Staffs, who are specifically teaching and advising graduate students, on the postgraduate curriculum development and revision held from Feb 21-22, 2019. It is believed that the vision and development of the graduate curriculum cannot be achieved without the involvement of the academic staffs. So, the training focused mainly on the means to equip the academic staffs with skills of the curriculum development and revision. The contents of the training are curriculum development and program review, and the trainers were Dr.Ambisa Kenea and Dr. Dessu Wirtu, both from Addis Ababa University. The participants were Vice president, Central Deans, School Dean and academic staffs from all the engineering schools and applied natural sciences. One hundred twelve academic staffs participated in the training. Based on the training, schools are expected to form different program review committee at school and department levels so as to be able to reassess the existing PG curriculum and update them.
Continuing Education Institute (CEI)
Adama Science and Technology University has been diversifying different training programs, and modes of delivery such as regular and extension programs.
Extension Programs are intended to give opportunity to working groups who have little or no access to regular programs. Such works are to be managed by the Institute of continuing education by serving as:
- A bridge between the university and community;
- Useful intervention to motivate and maintain academic and administrative staffs of the university by generating revenue and providing scholarship for both staff and non-staff.
Mandate of CEI
- Monitor the appropriate implementation of the rules and regulations of CEI as per the mandate given by the senate of ASTU.
- Standardize the preparation of the teaching materials by following the necessary steps.
- Monitor the mode of delivery and quality of courses given in extension modality.
- Determine the market demand survey and coordinate with Schools to design appropriate curricula to meet these demand, and
- Determine the rate of payment for various activities in CEI programs.
- Nurturing diversity: A culture of equity and fairness in all forms of practices, a conviction for the respect of the people without gender, class, racial, ethnic, religious and regional discriminations.
- Academic freedom and integrity: A strong commitment to a free and democratic academic environment where individuals inquire, investigate and engage in relevant academic practices and development. An academic institution where system integrity is maintained at all levels of the decision making process.
- Sense of belongingness and ownership: A commitment and dedication to perform assigned duties to the best of one’s knowledge and abilities.
- A feeling of connection, friendship, and relatedness between people. Task accomplishment level beyond the normal call of duty.
- Originality and innovativeness: Develop a culture of generating new ideas, processes, services, and entrepreneurial skill that may help the Institute to be the strong commercial arm of the University.
- Professional ethics: A commitment to a high standard of professional integrity and ethics. Commitment to the profession will be practiced and maintained at all levels of service rendering.
- Responsiveness: service delivery at all levels based on the principles of responsiveness. High standard of service delivery through one stop shopping. Empowered and knowledgeable frontline employees will enable internalization of this core value.
- Transparency and accountability: the practice of democratic, transparent, participative, responsible leadership and management will guide decision – making process of the CEI.
Motto “We are dedicated to Innovative Knowledge”